Let’s work together to keep our kids safe!
Ortona Road is the place that connects us: it’s where we all go each weekday morning to get our kids to school. Some of us walk, some of us cycle, some of us drive, but we all head in the same direction. It’s an incredibly busy location and it’s up to each of us to do our part and keep our children safe.
Here are some helpful tips to promote safety and play a part in keeping everyone safe:
If you drive:
- Please go slow and stay alert for kids crossing at all times.
- Consider parking in any of the daycare slots half a block away from NRP. This can reduce congestion in the parking lot.
- Please don’t make u turns near NRP. It’s illegal and it is dangerous when small children and cyclists are nearby.
- Don’t idle: keep the air fresh and clear and go easy on the planet too.
- Respect the rules: please park in designated spots only.
- Please slow down near all crosswalks. Small kids are moving about and are not easily seen. Speeding is illegal and can jeopardize the safety of our kids and each other.
If you cycle:
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Go slow and stay alert in school zones.
- Wear brightly coloured clothing to stand out.
- Add lights so you are visible to cars.
If you walk:
- Only cross at designated crosswalks.
- Wear brightly coloured clothes to stay visible.
- Stay on the sidewalks unless crossing the street.
- Be aware of cars at all times.
- Hold the hands of small children.
Thanks to everyone for helping keep our community safe.
Traffic Safety Committee
Alternative Pick-up and Drop-off Spot
Did you know you can enter the school from University Boulevard?
You don’t have to drive into Acadia Road or Osoyoos Crescent to drop off or pick up your kid. There is another school parking lot right in front of St. Anselm’s Anglican Church on University Boulevard. This is a particularly good access point if your kid is in upper grades.
(Click the image to see the map on Google Maps.)